Healthier Jupiter, in partnership with The Town of Jupiter’s Recreation Department and Jupiter Medical Center’s Cary Grossman Health & Wellness Center, held its second annual 9-week Couch to 5K Training Program. This program provided free to the public, guides participants to gradually increase their physical activity level to walk/run a 5K (3.1 miles). The training program started on March 2nd and ended April 27th. The program prepared participants for the Town of Jupiter’s annual Turtle Trot on May 4th at Ocean Cay Park.
The Couch to 5K program was developed as a way for community members to get active and seek fitness in an inclusive and encouraging environment. The program attracted such a diverse group of community members. We had participants just getting started with exercise, looking to increase their healthy habits, some getting back into shape, people looking to increase their pace/speed and families looking to get fit together.
On May 4th, we celebrated 9-weeks of training by participating in the Town of Jupiter Turtle Trot 5K. The bonds that were built throughout the program were on full display throughout the morning of the race as our group cheered each other. Four of our Couch to 5K team members placed as winners in their age group! And our group won Largest Team! What an accomplishment!
Healthier Jupiter will be collecting a Post Couch to 5K survey from participants to get more in depth understanding of the impact of the program, once analysis is complete we will share the results.
Here are our initial results and participation numbers…
And some special words we have received from our participants…
- “My heart was happy this morning seeing a sea of couch to 5K people running down the street! Many great reasons for being part of this group and each person has made it a goal to be here. Soooo proud of all of you!! See you at the race.”
- “I really love this training group. I am going to miss seen you all every Saturday morning. My mom is visiting me from Savannah, Ga. took her one Saturday and she loves it so much that she is staying until race day. This is going to be her 1st ever 5k. I am really excited to do this with my mom.”
- “Many thanks to Carrie, Ben, Dawn, Kelly, Joann, Stacy you guys were great trainers. You made the entire program fun and friendly. Karyl thanks for your encouragement at each training. ❤️”
- “Woohoo!!! I’m proud of all of us. And thanks to all of your organization and the ladies who were cheering us on to keep going!”
- “Thank you for all the trainings!!!! My daughter and I did our 1st 5k and hubby and son ran it, too!”
- “Thank you Healthier Jupiter, all the trainers and volunteers!!”
- “Congratulations to everyone. Fun morning. Thanks for the training and motivation.”
- “Thank you Couch to 5k!!! 3 generations! This was my Mami’s first 5k.”
Healthier Jupiter is incredibly proud and grateful to all who planned and participated in our Couch to 5K!
A special thank you to all….
Healthier Jupiter’s Couch to 5K Planning Committee and volunteers for helping to shape the program – Adam Magun from Jupiter Tequesta Athletic Association, Angel, Ashley Shipman, Barbara Crane, Cecelia Satar, Chris from Tri Bike Run, Dawn Ennis, Ilene Arons, Karyl Niemi, Kathleen Waddell, Mark McCleary, Paula Greene, Satu Oksanen, and Susan Burns
Healthier Jupiter Meet Up Volunteers – Mary Gocke, Donnie Smith-Browne, Jake Browne, Nicolas Browne
Town of Jupiter’s Recreation Department, especially Julie Wolnewitz and Summer Kessler for being champions for this program
Jupiter Medical Center’s Wellness Center Staff and Volunteers – Stacey Justine, Kelly Raymond, Debbie Knup, Siobhan Gross, Ben Klein (his son Zander), Taylor Stanton and Lilly Stokes – for sharing their skill and motivation as our trainers throughout the program
If you are interested in the Couch to 5K (March-May 2020) or interested in joining our Couch to 5K Planning Committee, which will begin meeting in September-May please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Healthier Jupiter is finalizing a Couch to 5K Toolkit to share with community members and agencies that may be interested in hosting their own Couch to 5K. If you are interested in receiving the Couch to 5K Training Program toolkit for your community, initiative or nonprofit please reach out to Healthier Jupiter’s Outreach Coordinator, Joanna Peluso, at email@example.com.